Making Of Scarecrow
Here are the “Making Of’s ” from last month’s top three winning entries…
这里是“Making Of’s ”从上个月的一分幸运28前三名获奖作品…
Hi everyone,again! It was,as always,a pleasure to particpate in the stylised challenge.
The creation process was the same for this piece as for my last:I always try to follow a sketch,adding volume and colour, all mixed up with composition and the intention of keeping it an interesting image.I started with the sketch , searching for the best character I could get. Since I didn’t have much time on the scarecrow.I had to go for the skinny version , which was one of my frist ideas- but I guess it turned out well enough .
So I started colouring , trying to get a simple look and paying attention to the weight of the colour and composition in the image（flg.02）
The first step I usually take when colouring is to block out the sky and groud; for the sky I tend to use a simple gradient,since it’s much better for a cartoon – fast and clean. The ground I paint with different brushes, depending on the style; this one was simple so I kept it that way.
Since most of the scarecrow was silhouetted against the sky,I painted it with
contrasting,warm colours and planned the shadows afterwards.
With most of the main colours defined,I started refining and polishing to incresse the
contrast an enrich the image, I positioned the sun to the left, allowing the shadows I
needed to add some dark tones in the scene . For the shadows I chose a violet tone and set it to multiply , and then continued detlailing.I also started adding some elements,like the cloud line or the barn at the background.
The most important part at this stage was making his smile smug enough – since the character has no movement, except for the action line of the pole,his expression had to do the trick!
Being able to guess the final results of the character,I still wasn’t happy enough with the image as a whole… I imagined right from the beginning that the viewer would be able to guess what had happened if I simply showed some feathers(fig.03).However,I realised it was lacking something.and so I decided to add the crows themselves – placing them here and there , making the image a little more dynamic.
能够猜测角色的最后结果，整体来看我仍然不够满意这幅图…我设想右边从一开始，如果我简单的显示一些羽毛，观众将猜到发生了什么事（见fig.03 ） 。然而，我意识到这是缺乏一些东西的，所以我决定把乌鸦-放置他们在这里和那里，使图像多一点活力。
I painted in the foreground plants and changed the clouds to balance the new elements in the image… and there it was, almost ready.I ended the work on the image by refining all the characters using the smudge tool,and I used a little blur on the crows to simulate movement.The final step was to balance the colour , I made the shadows a little more subtle and made the tone of the trousers a little less saturated – and with that, it was done.And onto the next challenge!